Question: Are Magazines Allowed to be Placed in Blue Bags?
Q: Are magazines able to be put into blue bags? What is the recycling process for magazines?
A: Yes, you can put magazines into your blue bags or take them to East Central Recycling at 701 E Centennial Ave. The recycling process for magazines is the same as paper recycling. Here are the steps in which paper and magazines are recycled.
Paper/Magazines Recycling Process:
- Paper is tossed into a pulper ( a giant blender ) with chemicals that dissolve paper fiber bonds while shredding it into tiny fibers.
- The watery fiber mixture or "pulp", passes through screens which filter out chunks of dirt and glue.
- Cleaning chemicals are stirred in to remove tiny dirt, oil, and other contaminants, which are then siphoned off.
- Pulp is de-inked by sticking it in a chemical solution and blowing bubbles through it.
- Then pulp is bleached.
- Then spread onto wide screens that let the water drain off.
- Then put through heated pressers, which apply enough pressure to turn them into smooth sheets of paper.
- Paper is then rolled up into huge rolls ( weighing as much as 3 tons each ) then sent on word for cutting, packaging, and shipping.