The Muncie Sanitary District, in its dual role as public utility and government agency, is committed to the privacy of its customers. This notice explains how we use online information received from you. While information about you is public property and much of it is required by law to be available for public inspection, we take every precaution possible to guard against misuse of customer information. Access to public information is governed by Indiana Code 5-14-3. More information regarding your privacy rights in relation to public access requirements can be found at http://www.in.gov/pac. We keep the collection of personal customer information to a minimum to the extent possible and practicable.
What information does Muncie Sanitary District collect on its website?
- We collect the number of "hits" to our site.
- We collect the number of sessions that are conducted for each Web page.
- We use this information strictly for statistical purposes and to help us make our website more useful to visitors. The information is stored for a maximum of two years.
- We collect, retain and use personally identifiable information (such your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, account number) from users of our online services. Muncie Sanitary District will explicitly ask you when we need such information. Only information specifically and knowingly provided by you is collected. The information you provide will be used only for the purpose you intend. We may enter the information into a database maintained at our corporate headquarters. We use this information to assist us in improving our services to our customers and as reference in addressing customer inquiries and service needs.
What information is held confidential?
- Customer bank account numbers and bank routing numbers. These numbers are used for customer eCheck payments and Autopay ACH customer payments. Echeck bank numbers are secured in the District's payment gateway bank. For customer protection, the numbers never reach the District's computer networks or its web servers. Automatic customer payments by ACH use bank routing and account numbers that are kept confidential and are not available for public inspection. These numbers are only maintained on secure protected servers in the District's internal network, they are never located on a server available to the Internet. These numbers are only transmitted on the Internet using secure encrypted connections.
- Customer credit or debit card numbers. For customer protection, credit and debit card numbers remain securely with the District's payment gateway bank. These numbers are transmitted only over secure encrypted connections.
- Customer social security numbers are not requested, or maintained by the Muncie Sanitary District.
Cookies may be placed on your computer by the District website, only with your permission. Cookies may be used to help you enter your login name or password. Cookies may also be used to provide the webmaster usage data to improve navigation and the usefulness of the District's website.
Links to Other Sites
Release of Information
The Muncie Sanitary District will not share your personal information with any third party except as necessary to operate this web site, to provide the services you requested or to fulfill legal and regulatory obligations.
If we believe someone is attempting to break into, has broken into or has otherwise abused our resources over the Internet, we can use the information collected to find those responsible. As part of these efforts we may share the information with law enforcement agencies.
How to Contact Muncie Sanitary District
If you have any questions or concerns about these privacy policies, please contact the MSD Administration by phone, (765) 747-4863, or click here to email a message.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided through the Muncie Sanitary District's web site is correct. The information is being provided as a public service. The Muncie Sanitary District assumes no liability for any inaccuracies that may be present.