Glass Recycling 101
Did you know that glass is 100% recyclable and that it also can be recycled endlessly without any loss in purity or quality? Did you also know that over one ton of natural resources is saved for every ton of glass recycled? Every six tons of glass recycled reduces one ton of carbon dioxide during the manufacturing process. Recycling glass is better for the environment!
The process for glass recycling starts by having you place your unwanted glass in your blue bag and placing the blue bag in your toter or you can drop off your glass at East Central Recycling, at 701 E. Centennial Avenue in Muncie. The steps for glass recycling are:
- Your recyclables are collected
- Recyclables are delivered to a Material Recovery Facility or MRF for short, which in this case is East Central Recycling (ECR).
- Recyclables are separated by material types.
- Glass from the MRF and drop off locations is sent to a glass processing company.
- Glass is separated from trash and other contaminants, then sorted by color- brown, green, and clear.
- Recycled glass is sold to glass container manufacturers and made into new bottles and jars.
- Consumers purchase food and beverages in glass packing.
Now that you know how easy it is to recycle glass, and how it's good for the environment by reducing energy usage and cost, please participate by dropping off glass at East Central Recycling or by putting it in your blue bags to be picked up.
For more info visit www.munciesanitary.org