Send this page
Print this page
It is against the law to dump or throw litter on any public
or private property within the city limits of Muncie. It is also against
the law for litter to fall or scatter from vehicles. Litter such as paper,
bottles, cans, matchbooks, cigarette butts, glass, garbage, plastic, etc.,
may not be thrown or dumped on streets, sidewalks, parks and other recreational
areas, alleys, yards, driveways, vacant lots, parking lots, storage piles,
public waterways, sewers, and, receiving basins.
Click here to report a violation
- Business Areas - The owner must keep the area litter
free and must clean up the area daily.
- Construction, Demolition sites - Property owners
and contractors will prevent litter from being scattered on adjoining
premises. Litter from construction sites or related activities must be
placed in covered containers at the end of each day.
- Junk Vehicles -For complaints regarding junk and abandoned
vehicles, call the City Building Commissioner's office, 747- 4862.
- Loading, Unloading Docks - The person owning, operating,
or in control of the dock will keep area litter free. Allowing litter
to scatter on adjoining premises is against the law.
- Parking Lots -Parking lot owners must equip their properties
with litter receptacles. It is recommended that litter receptacles be
ridded to prevent blowing and emptied on a regular basis to prevent overfill.
- Uncovered Vehicles - Open vehicles carrying gravel,
paper, tree limbs, trash, waste material, etc. must be covered with a
tarpaulin to prevent spillage onto streets, sidewalks, and other public
- Sidewalks, Alleys - Owners or occupants of' residential
and commercial premises are responsible for keeping sidewalks and alleys
bordering their properties free of litter and weeds. Businesses and individuals
are required by law to keep their sidewalks free of ice and snow.
- Vacant Lots - Owners must maintain their lots and bordering
sidewalks free of litter, dead trees, and weeds.
- Mowing - Mowing – For assistance with weed code violations, call
Muncie Building Commissioner office at 747-4862. To report un-mowed
properties, call the Weed Hot-line at 741-1336.
- Abandoned & Unsafe Buildings, Buildings with Broken
Windows - Vacant buildings (houses, garages, or commercial buildings)
must be secured to prevent entry. To report an abandoned building, call
the Building Commissioner's office, 747-4862.
- Rodents & Insects - Infestations of mice and rats
in buildings or vacant lots, and mosquito problems in weed/water areas
should be reported to the Delaware County Health Department, 747-7721.
- Toxic Wastes - Dumping of oil, pesticides, coolants,
and other toxic chemicals should be reported to Delaware County Health
Department or Indiana Department of' Environmental Management. Toxic substances
being poured into public waterways, down storm sewers, or where groundwater
may be contaminated, should be reported to the Bureau of Water Quality,